Sunday, December 20, 2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Yeah, yeah, it's cheesy but this truly is my favorite time of the year. I'm not really sure what makes winter and Christmas so special. It might be the hot chocolate, maybe the beautiful pure snow on the ground, or knowing your friends and family appreciate and love you even when the presents they give you aren’t the best. It might be the combination of all of these, but recently I’ve realized the most wonderful part about Christmas is the feeling of generosity and love that are shared by friends and family. I spent all day yesterday Christmas shopping, and the challenge of purchasing that perfect gift for my friends and family was utterly exhilarating. I loved thinking about their reactions. I loved that feeling right after I got the perfect present, and I loved their faces when they saw the gifts. I can be a selfish person, aren’t we all? But what I cherish about this time of the year is being able to thank those amazing people in our life who do so much for us, even if it is with a simple present. It’s the best feeling in the world; better than receiving any present. Although opening presents on Christmas day is one of the most exciting things, I’ve realized that those material things won’t matter in a couple of years. For instance, I was absolutely thrilled when I received Uggs last year for Christmas. I had wanted them for so long and finally holding them in my hands was magical. But now, they’re old. Sure, I still love them, but they don’t have that shiny “newness” that I loved about them. There are always going to be new things that we want, and those feelings of happiness and satisfaction won’t last forever. But what I have realized is that the feelings of happiness and satisfaction when you see the faces of your friends after you have given them a personalized and well thought out present, something you hope they will love, is priceless.



Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!J

No comments:

Post a Comment