Sunday, December 6, 2009

Happy Little Ear of Corn

If I could be any animal in the world, it would definitely not be a snail. They’re slow, slimy, and definitely not the most attractive mollusks, but for the last couple of months, I have been given an inside look at the life of a snail. They were ridiculous purple sweatpants and leotards, and top it all off with a flamboyant purple skirt and don’t forget the glitzy sequined belt. They wear shocking purple wigs with silly antennae headbands, and most importantly they have a huge purple shell that feels like the weight of the world has been placed on their back; no wonder they’re so slow. How do I know this, you might ask? Well two words; Playtime Poppy. Yes, the annual children’s theatre show that Kennedy produces this year was none other than “A Year With Frog and Toad”. This production was complete with snails, squirrels, lizards, turtles, mice, and any other animal you could find in a swamp. The plot was simple and easy to follow. It told the heartwarming tale of Frog and Toad, best friends who seem to do everything together. The play took the audience through the numerous adventures Frog and Toad seemed to share, from baking cookies, to sledding down a huge hill. They end up getting in a fight at the end of the play, but eventually reconcile on Christmas Eve, and realize that their friendship means everything to them. I was so happy to be a part of this show, and even though it was for children, I feel like all of us did a spectacular job.




Children told me they loved it, and some came to see it twice or even three times. Adults told me that it was very professionally done, and the sets, acting, and costumes were exceptional. At first, I was a bit skeptical about doing this play. It did not have an interesting story line or extravagant songs and dances, but I am so glad that I decided to do it. Not only did we put on an amazing show, cheesy as it sounds, I made new friends that I am so happy to have. It’s funny how a theatre production can bring people closer together, but after spending loads of time together doing something you all love, you’re bound to get close together. So on closing night, as we all serenaded into the dressing room singing “In The Jungle” at the top of our lungs, I realized that my memories and friendships I have made through Playtime Poppy are unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment