Saturday, December 12, 2009

I don't want this moment to ever end, where everything's nothing without you

26+15
30+11
20+21

Who starts a blog post with addition; it looks more like 3rd grade math homework. You might think I'm crazy, but you know what these numbers have in common, they produce a sum of 41. Sum 41, an alternative/punk/rock band that never fails to amaze me. Not one of their songs is dull or meaningless. I relate to all of their songs on a level that scares me sometimes. It's like they read my mind, pull out my exact thoughts and put them to a melody. I'm not a huge fan of hardcore heavy punk or anything, and that is why I love Sum 41. They manage to be a punk band with a great reputation without screaming nonsense onto a CD like some punk bands seem to do.
As crazy as it sounds, I actually discovered this band on Gossip Girl, probably the preppiest show you will find; not exactly a Sum 41 kind of show. However, in one of my favorite episodes of the show With Me blasted from my TV and I fell in love with the song. It sounds cheesy, but it was one of those songs that made me feel alive, made me want to learn the guitar chords immediately after, made me remember why I love music so much. The simple acoustic guitar in the beginning playing the most beautiful set of chords I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. The sultry voice of Derryck Webber (lead singer), and the exceptional chorus that is the perfect combination of punk and ballad rock. Maybe it’s all of those combined, but this song has become an obsession. I honestly listen to it at least 3 times a day, and know all the words. I have no idea how to play the guitar, and after obsessing over you tube tutorial videos, I finally learned how to play this song.
I don’t want this moment to ever end, where everything’s nothing without you. Something about those words, the placement of the words, the simplicity of it is truly magical. I want you to know, with everything I won’t let this go, these words are my heart and soul, I’ll hold onto this moment you know, cause I bleed my heart out to show, that I won’t let go. Honesty seeps out of this song. I can’t stop putting quotes from the song in this post, because every word has so much meaning and power. Anyways, all hail to Sum 41, quite possibly the greatest band in the history of music. Oh and do check the song out, it's life changing:)

No comments:

Post a Comment